What is Makaton?
● Makaton is a language programme that uses signs and symbols and speech to encourage communication skills.
● Makaton signs are from BSL (British Sign Language). Unlike BSL, there are no regional variations and signs are always accompanied by speech
● Developed in the 1970s to support adults and children with communication and learning disabilities.
● Makaton is a visual and stimulating way to develop early communication skills. Research has shown that it helps to develop early communication skills e.g. eye contact, attention, turn taking, gestures. Makaton helps stimulate sounds and first words and encourage language development i.e. putting words together.
● Makaton helps understanding as it provides an additional visual cue to support the spoken language.
Go to Makaton Part II