PECs was developed in the 1980s for children with ASD (Autistic Spectrum Disorder) in the USA by Frost & Bondy and is now used with both adults and children with a range of communication skills.
● To teach purposeful, spontaneous, independent communication between 2 people.
● It teaches requesting rather than just naming ie. communication has an outcome or obvious purpose.
● It takes into account the typical ASD child’s lack of responsiveness to social reinforcement.
● It has a positive effect on behaviour.
● It can be developed into social communication e.g. commenting.
● Transferable skills
● Need to complete a reinforcer assessment to determine preferred and non preferred items/activities.